Note that some of these links go nowhere. Section still under
Advances in technology rapidly change the way that we live our lives, and the last half
millennium has seen the most rapid progress in human history. Therefore, to understand the
societies of the Archipelago we must understand the power and limitations of its technology.
- Nanotechnology Overview
- Manufacturing Industry
- Synthetic Life
- Medical Nanotech
- Processing Systems
- Quantum Computers
- User Interfaces
- Oneiric Spaces
- Artificial Intelligence
- Genetic Algorithms
- Agoric Computing
- Public Key Cryptography
- Virtual Currency
- Quantum Channels
- Jinn and Data Agents
- Cybernetics Overview
- Neural Interfaces
- Enhanced Perception
- Intelligence Amplification
- Symbiotic Processors
- Biotech Overview
- Power Generation Overview
The vast majority of people do not own private vehicles. It is possible to travel anyway easily
and quickly by public transport. Regional transport systems are typically maglev trains, with
suborbital scramjets, hovercraft or hydrofoils for longer journeys. Large cargoes are usually
transported by ship or ground-effect plane.
Ships and Submarines
- Retinal Enhancement
- Replacement photoreceptors able to see IR and UV, with greater
sensitivity and optional image processing.
- Neural Interface
- Peripheral nerve links to sensory and motor nerves to allow
interfacing with other systems.
- Wired Reflexes
- Enhanced immune system designed to counter incursions
of hostile nanos.
- Distributed heart made up of network of cardiovascular
- Improved Metabolic Pathways
- Skin, hair and eyes able to rapidly change colour, or
- State of the art autonomous weapons platform.
- PraeSec Smart Ammo
- Target-seeking, cooperative-burst ammunition used by Praesidial
- Remote Platforms
- Small, crewless craft launched from larger space vehicles for more
- Reusable lifting-body glider used for orbit-to-surface cargo drops.
- Power Generation
Many types of drive system are in common use, including
thermal fission rockets,
pulsed fusion drives and
continuous-burn fusion drives.
The various types have wildly varying
- Energy Storage
- Passive Sensors
The most common types of passive sensors are
optical and infrared telescopes and
- Active Sensors
- Beam Weapons
- Kinetic Energy Weapons
- Small Craft Hangers
The future of Ad Astra